King Tide Reporting Demo

With growing concerns about sea level rise and coastal flooding, there are a variety of citizen science initiatives that have users submit pictures and data related to King Tides. Lots of these projects use a web-based form to submit data to a NOAA database.

To show how Weather Citizen could be used for reporting this sort of data in a more convenient fashion, I put together a quick demonstration:

1. Build the Form

Using the Snapshot customization tools, I built a form that mirrors the “Water Level Reporter” form mentioned above. Being able to add dropdown selections, numerical inputs, and text boxes made it really easy to mimic the form exactly.

To share the custom form, simply share the automatically generated QR code to your team:

If you want to play along at home, download the WeatherCitizen app from your app store of choice and do the following:

1. From the WeatherCitizen home screen, click “Make an Observation”.
  2. Click “Snapshot”.
  3. At the top of the Snapshot form, click the settings button (it looks like a gear). This bring you to the customization screen, which let you add and delete input fields. This is what I used to make the new form.
  4. In the top right corner, there are two QR code icons. click the one on the right to bring up the camera.
  5. Scan the QR code I posted above. The new input form is now loaded!
  6. Click “Save” in the upper right corner, and then click the back arrow in the upper left to check out the new form.

Observe

I created a sample observation using the custom form. The geotagged data and photo is uploaded to our server automatically, and then displays on our webmap seconds later. It would be easy to have this data feed into other databases as well.

Analyze

Using our python module, weathercitizen.py, I downloaded the data and formatted it into a CSV file. More information on downloading data can be found in our documentation.

Summary

From beginning to end, this demo took me less than 30 minutes to put together (granted, I’m a power user). Hopefully, we can record our local King Tide this spring using WeatherCitizen!

1 Like